Welcome to the Vandergrift Public Library’s “1,000 Books Before Kindergarten” program!
Goal of the program:
- Introduce a fun way to encourage families to read aloud to their young children
- Introduce children to a variety of books and promote early literacy so children can enter school ready to learn
- Reinforce parents’ role as their child’s first teacher
- Encourage families to regularly use the library for lifelong learning
How it Works:
Participate in one of these three ways:
- Start this reading challenge on our Beanstack site:
If you are completing the reading challenge online through Beanstack, you will earn digital badges along the way.
- Visit the library to pick up a paper reading log.
If you are completing the challenge via a paper log, be sure to come into the library with your log each time you read 100 books to collect a sticker and your next reading sheet.
- Download and print the reading log for your first 100 books & register your child here.
If you are completing the challenge via a paper log, be sure to come into the library with your log each time you read 100 books to collect a sticker .
- Read books to your child and record each title.
- Books may be read more than once and recorded. Books read at library story times, day care centers, preschools, or by others may be counted.
- When you have finished 1,000 books, you will receive a certificate and a gift. But, most important, your child will have a jumpstart on success in school.